Draining of the bog
LAND over which the extension would sit encompassed the fields adjacent to the existing course and the marsh land, often described then as ‘the snipe bog’, on the far side of the Crossag Road (sic).
It is quite amazing that by March 1, 1907, the Ramsey Courier was able to report on the progress that had been made in the preparation of the new course. To such an extent that the drainage had been completed, the greens formed and top dressed. Hundreds of loads of spoil had been carted to the ground to fill up holes and make a level course. The report adds that as soon as weather permitted the whole course would be rolled and ready for play by Whit weekend.
Things were definitely looking up, the AGM was presented with a healthy balance sheet with income now at £208 and money in the bank standing at well over £50. Tickets issued to visitors during the year totalled 658, a satisfactory increase on 1906.The Secretary, Mr Fergusson, was singled out for plaudits. His efforts on the course and in the running of the Club were much appreciated. He in turn, recognised the assistance of Messrs Dawson and Midwood.
Remarkably, although not meeting the hoped for deadline of Whit weekend, the new course was ready for play on July 13. An amazing feat given that it was all done by human endeavour without any mechanical or other assistance except for the efforts of a loaned horse!
The exact amount of drainage work that was put into the ‘snipe bog’ can be clearly seen in the photograph taken at the time, with drainage centres of as little as six feet.