Built in 1848, the Albert Tower, from its position at the top of Lhergy Frissel, overlooks the town and course. Built to commemorate the royal visit of Prince Albert on 20 September 1847. Queen Victoria's Royal Yacht anchored in the bay, heavy seas made it impossible to enter Douglas Harbour. Recovering from seasickness, Victoria remained onboard, leaving Prince Albert to venture ashore. Climbing to the top of the hill he viewed the town and the northern plain. It was renamed Albert Mount. A year later, following a public subscription, the tower's foundation was laid. The tower, made of granite, rises 45 feet (14 m) high. It is not only a landmark for the town of Ramsey but also for the north of the Isle of Man. A public path leads up the hill to the tower. The TT races interrupt the peaceful nature of the Island and Ramsey in particular - the course brings the bikes into the town centre and on up to the mountain climb section of the course that winds around the Tower.